Monday, March 28, 2011

The Coen Brothers Movie List

I mentioned on the previous Movie List (Tarantino) that I had completed my Coen Bros list and put it on StinkBrown as a comment. Well I've been badgered and begged to put it up here, so here it is.

1. The Big Lebowski (Such a great blend of script/acting/directing. My all-time favourite movie!!)



2. Miller’s Crossing (This is an absolute classic of the genre and could easily be #1 here)


3. No Country for Old Men (The Coen's admit they pretty much shot the book but I believe in less capable hands this could have been average)


4. O Brother Where Art Thou? (Such a clever script, love the dialogue)


5. Blood Simple (A gem of a 1st entry)


6. Fargo (Won oscar for a reason, would probably have it equal 5th)


7. The Man Who Wasn’t There (Gets better after each viewing)


8. Intolerable Cruelty (Some very funny one-liners, I'm gonna nail yo ass!!)


9. Raising Arizona (Some good moments but didn't grab me)


10. The Hudsucker Proxy (Same as #9)


11. Burn After Reading (Same as #10


12. A Serious Man (Only seen it once and admit it's too clever for me, may jump up upon further viewings)


13. Barton Fink (Again some good moments but not one of my favs)


14. Crimewave (Not horrible)


15. The Ladykillers (Average at best :-(


(NA). True Grit (Haven’t seen it yet!!)

The Coen films for me fall into tiers.

1st Tier:    #1 and #2 MASTERPIECE
2nd Tier:  #3 to #7 FANTASIC
3rd Tier: #8 to #12 GOOD SOLID
4th Tier: #13 to #15 AVERAGE

Feel free to have a go yourself and also pass judgement on my list.

Until then hail to the peda familia!

No comments:

Post a Comment