Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Top Ten - The Fours

Just had a relaxing day off (Charters Towers Show) and NO I didn't go!!!

Saw Milk, yes Sean Penn was good, although there were a few times I thought I was watching I am Sam. Interesting that Penn acts gay and mentally impaired similarly??

Finished reading another HardCase Crime book Home is the Sailor. Good, clever but not The Gutter and the Grave.

Top Tens - The Fours

Movies

Chasing Amy - What's a nubian?

The fact that I found it so hard to pick a 'quote' tells a story about how many times I seen it and how clever it really is!!

Sure for Kevin Smith's 3rd feature it is a case of 'talking heads'. But I will always take a quality script over stylised camera work. Michael Bay is reading this with a tear in his eye. The difference is Kevin Smith's tear is emotional, see Affleck chewing up the scenary outside the ice rink. Whereas Michael Bay's tear is all about the crystal shape as it slides down the check in slow motion.

I saw this at the cinemas with my brother (Stinkbrown), long story and thought Ben Affleck tore it up. However after many many viewing I think Jason Lee more than holds his own.

This is obviously my favourite of the Smith films and at one point would have sat at number one. The themes of insecurity and friendship really hit at the time.

Songs

How Far Have We Really Come? - Powderfinger

Despite the miseries
And the lessons learned from history
The pattern still repeats
Never to surrender don't you ever retreat
How far have we really come?
Until the ones who are leading us
Make peace their resolution tonight
Make peace your resolution tonight
There's an arms race to be run
Building bigger better dagger headed bombs
So let's drink to the daughters and sons
Never to return to their mother's arms
For every battle lost and won are these the ones that we offer up?

Great lyrics, melody and a good tune to sing along to!

T.V Series

Entourage - Lets Hug it out Bitch

I only found this series 8 months ago. It was aired in an aweful timeslot (much like Arrested Development) and was viewed mainly on pay T.V which I don't have. My bro of the stink variety has all of the seasons on his laptop, I'm assured legally!!! We watched the entire first season in the 3 nights we stayed with him. The next week my wife and I stayed at the beach (Caloundra) and bought season 2,3 and 4. During the course of our 8 night stay we watched every episode and even found time to conceive a baby.

I find Vince 'Vinny' Chase to be vacuous and boring. E is okay and Turtle holds his own but the two stand out characters and probably both are in my top ten characters are Ari Gold, Vinny's agent and Johnny 'Drama' Vinny's more talanted older brother actor.

My lovely wife thinks my anger issues are very similar to Ari's. He has many of the best lines like 'The script's been changed more times than Andy Dick's vibrator' and his many tirades in Lloyd direction.

I am a member of the fan club of Johnny 'Drama' on facebook but that doesn't come close to showing how funny I think his character is. Kevin Dillon has been underrated for a long time and many would be excused for thinking he peaked back in the 80's with his breakout (in my opinion) performance in The Blob. That would have been correct until Entourage premiered. Many of Dramas best moments are reactions of his in the background and the everpresent look of hurt on his face. FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

Books

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Before I start, opps I already have, I did read this before the movie was made. However Christian Bale chews it up!! yum yum!

This was one of the first book I read that I thought 'Are you allowed to write about stuff like this?' I also dug the conversation it generated about the themes particularly when he goes back to the apartment of someone he killed and the creepy lady talks to him. I still need to read more Ellis so any suggestion on which one would be great!!


That's the fours and the threes will be here within the week.

Bub is approximately 8 and a half weeks.

Until then hail to the four way intersection!

1 comment:

  1. Worthy fours, they set the scene for a mighty and impressive top three trio! I cannot wait. literally, bring them on.

    ReplyDelete