Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why a 2nd draft is so hard!

Ryan and I have embarked on a mission to write a successful short film script. Ryan gave me the concept and I went away and wrote the script. I sent it on to Ryan who had heaps of changes and ideas and we persisted with this system for about 8 emails each. Once we were both happy with the story etc I did my best to get a producer to read it. I was very lucky last year to have one of my script mades into a quality short which has put me on IMDB and given me some credability as a credited writer. This has given us the 'foot in the door' for producers to actually open my emails and a few producers have said when they have an open window they would be interested in talking to us about a deal.

Two producers have expressed a little more interest with Alex Hartwin from Dark Geometry stating that he is booked up for the next 6 months but if the script is still on the table would be interested in a deal.

Also 2 producing partners in Brisbane, Angela Faria and Sonia Armstrong are interested in seeing a 2nd draft and generating government funding (meaning I will get paid for this one!) and making a real go on the Festival circuit.

To hark back to the title of the blog, I am finding it very hard to produce a 'real' 2nd draft. Why? Because Ryan and I were relatively happy with the first draft and seeing where the changes were needed is much harder. Hence I need an honest appraisement of what works and more importantly what does not work. That way I would be able to focus on a particular character, scene or overall story arc. Anyone interested in giving their honest appraisal can contact me on jlind78@gmail.com

Although Ryan I have come up with a different spin and will do up a version 2 and send it on to you!

On another note Annaliese is 20 weeks pregnant (halfway) and doing very well!!

Until then hail to Big Daddy!

1 comment:

  1. Another draft, chore, haha!
    I am sure we will get through it, but you may have to do the majority of the heavy lifting, I'm swamped with reading my book, again, this time with the notes that Jess has made. She surprisingly has a good eye for stuff! She can work for me again!
    Until M-O-O-N spells moon, make mine the Lindsay Brothers!

    ReplyDelete